25 May, 2010

In the beginning of the year, media communications was my least favorite class. The horribly short blog post I did are evidence of this. I didn’t feel like we where learning anything important. While the short films we watched where interesting and filming our own movie was fun, that’s not what I expected to do in this class; I took digital media to learn about filming and editing movies. Once we started studding the actual culture of various types of media I felt like the information I was receiving was more valuable. Watching Michael Wesch’s speech about the anthropology of Youtube was definitely the most interesting part of the year. I thought the part of the vide where one of Michael’s students used a mirror to show she was talking to a camera was very insightful, but overall the entire video gave a great deal of interesting information, especial to someone interested in sociology such as myself. When he talked about first blogs and showed those of himself and his students it gave me more confidence when making my own blogs.

When doing the Digitally Nation unit we received a lot of useful information on how the media and technology has change the world, and we got the opportunity to debate whether we thought these changes where good or bad. I noticed that most of the tabs on the Digital Nation site had something about video games. I really liked what the Gee guy said about how video games help us learn not only about the world but ourselves.

I think I would have enjoyed the advertisement unit more in we didn’t focus on the food industry. This is a technology-orientated class so I think it would have been cool if we studied computer ads or maybe even ads you see in web page margins. I didn’t like watching Food inc. because most of their information was biased.

Overall this class was enjoyable, especially once we got to second quarter.

0 comments: